Seriff Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'd be pissed too.

Shortly after setting up the new fishtank, we bought four fish called Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squampinnis). We bought all females of varying sizes because Anthias, like many fish, can change sexes to fit into the social structure of the group. One of these anthias will eventually change into a male in order to take the dominant role in the harem. Other fish, such as clownfish, are female dominated. A male clownfish will convert to a female when the existing female dies.

We are excited to annouce that our larger female anthias has started it's conversion... and boy is he(she?) pissed about it. Aggression is skyrocketing in what I can only assume is a evolutionary advantage to fight off and any any other females which are trying to convert. On the upside, he has been corralling all of the other anthias, and they are now much more active. Here is a photo of the anthias shortly after we added them to the tank:



Now, the morphing has begun. This picture, doesnt quite do it justice, but the rear of the dorsal fin has become a dark red, and the tail is beginning to darken as well. The real of the dorsal is also becoming raised and elongated (it will eventually turn into a streamer). When complete, the fish will be entirely pink/red. As the fish morphs, I will continue to post updated pictures.



On a totally separate note, I figured I would post the occasional youtube video which I enjoyed. This one is an oldie, but one of my favorites. This is the type of new media which the internet allows and encorages. For all of the garbage out there, there are also some real artists who would never otherwise get any exposure. Check out this great animation -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home