Seafood... and Dinner too!
Because I didn't feel like I ramble about enough topics here, I thought I would also occasionally post new recipes we make. Tonight, we made a Tuscan Chickpea Soup which we make every now and then. Its a great winter soup, although we made it in the 90 degree heat. It takes about 40 minutes, but there is very little actual "work" to do, so its great for us on a busy work night.
Tuscan Chickpea Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 C. onion… finely chopped
8 cloves garlic
4 C. water
1 tsp. rosemary… fresh minced (Or 1/4 tsp dried)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cans chickpeas… rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes… undrained
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 10 min, stirring frequently. Stir in water and next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 min. Process soup in blender to desired consistency. Stir in Vinegar and bring to a boil. Serve and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
We use a system called eChef to store our recipes, and it saves us a lot of time every week in choosing our meals for the week and making our grocery list. No more looking through hundreds of books and magazines every Sunday morning to make our decisions.
Work is about to get even busier for both Liz and I. Her big project is going live next weekend, so I doubt I'll be seeing her much starting Friday. I am also getting close to the end of a big project at my new job. I'm quite excited, as it is my first very large project there. In the small amount of free time we seem to have, we've started taking golf lessons. We both suck, but neither one of us has thrown anything yet. I guess that is a win.
We're fighting a bit of an algae problem in the tank at the moment, but I know whats causing it (my old nemesis... Phosphate), and it is clearing up quite a bit. I have some new equipment coming in this weekend which should help as well. That's why I love this hobby.. there are always more things to research and buy!
Here are a few interesting pics of some of our starfish. We have two blue, and one orange linkia starfish (linkia laevigata and linkia guildingi respectively). The blues don't move around alot, but the orange is very active. The other night, I caught both of them hanging out on our front glass, and figured I would get some interesting closeup shots. Once I buy a macro lens, I'll be able to take some even more interesting shots.
Here they are.

Notice the sticky white tentacles the starfish uses to hold onto the glass, move around. It is only using a few to hold itself up at the moment, but you can see the hundreds of the tentacles still held inside of its legs. In the center, you can see the mouth opening.

The blue star doesn't extend his tentacles nearly as much as the orange, and is much more sedentary.
Tuscan Chickpea Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 C. onion… finely chopped
8 cloves garlic
4 C. water
1 tsp. rosemary… fresh minced (Or 1/4 tsp dried)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cans chickpeas… rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes… undrained
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 10 min, stirring frequently. Stir in water and next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 min. Process soup in blender to desired consistency. Stir in Vinegar and bring to a boil. Serve and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
We use a system called eChef to store our recipes, and it saves us a lot of time every week in choosing our meals for the week and making our grocery list. No more looking through hundreds of books and magazines every Sunday morning to make our decisions.
Work is about to get even busier for both Liz and I. Her big project is going live next weekend, so I doubt I'll be seeing her much starting Friday. I am also getting close to the end of a big project at my new job. I'm quite excited, as it is my first very large project there. In the small amount of free time we seem to have, we've started taking golf lessons. We both suck, but neither one of us has thrown anything yet. I guess that is a win.
We're fighting a bit of an algae problem in the tank at the moment, but I know whats causing it (my old nemesis... Phosphate), and it is clearing up quite a bit. I have some new equipment coming in this weekend which should help as well. That's why I love this hobby.. there are always more things to research and buy!
Here are a few interesting pics of some of our starfish. We have two blue, and one orange linkia starfish (linkia laevigata and linkia guildingi respectively). The blues don't move around alot, but the orange is very active. The other night, I caught both of them hanging out on our front glass, and figured I would get some interesting closeup shots. Once I buy a macro lens, I'll be able to take some even more interesting shots.
Here they are.

Notice the sticky white tentacles the starfish uses to hold onto the glass, move around. It is only using a few to hold itself up at the moment, but you can see the hundreds of the tentacles still held inside of its legs. In the center, you can see the mouth opening.

The blue star doesn't extend his tentacles nearly as much as the orange, and is much more sedentary.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home